Monday, August 27, 2012

Day 27

I'm not doing so well with the daily posts.

However, I am doing well with the nutrition although not so much with the cooking.

I got all my scores on blood work but not the dexascan.  My cholesterol is great.  Triglycerides are way low.  My hemoglobin A1c is 5.5, down from the high a year ago of 6.1 so absolutely no sugar in the diet is working.

Thyroid is still a little off.  T3 is low.  I'm on a designer T4 drug--same as the generics but it's Akrimax Pharmaceuticals new version, called Tirosint and it's expensive.  I'm going to request that I go to Armour for three months and see if the T3 comes up.  The Reverse T3 wasn't measured and I'm going to ask for all the tests again in three months and this time include a measurement of the Reverse T3 which could give a clearer picture T3 is still low.  Armour comes from pigs and includes both T4 and T3.  Most doctors aren't thrilled about Armour and I have to keep reminding myself that they are constantly educated by drug company reps.

I need to work on the menus and cooking.  More cooking on Sunday, add more vegetables to the daily meals, more salads.  This is a work in progress.  This first 30-day challenge ends Thursday and the new one starts on Saturday, Sept. 1.

The new challenge calls for everything I'm doing now and adding in the elimination of nightshades and all the fruits and vegetables known to affect thyroid function.  And there are a lot of them.  Thank gawd raspberries, blackberries and blueberries aren't on that list.

I consider the August challenge a success.  It's shown me that I can do what I need to and let go of some of the Want, Want, Want.  Have to admit, I still miss my coffee with cream.  And I missed my cigarettes for a damn long time after I quit smoking the last time.  Addictions stay with us--all those damned neurons and pleasure centers.

Enough!  Time to fix breakfast and get on with the day.  And a lovely one it looks to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment